TOPIC: What should I do before starting a vehicle?
A Utility Contractor recently found this child while conducting a CIRCLE OF SAFETY of the company truck the crew members were driving.
Just think about what would have happened if the employee had gotten in the truck and drove off without doing a walk around.
Before starting your vehicle, follow these simple steps:
- Read, understand, and follow manufacturer’s operating manual.
- Know how to operate the vehicle and use any related equipment or attachments safety.
- Be familiar with the location and function of all the controls.
- Inspect your vehicle daily.
- Develop a routine method of inspecting vehicle – Start at the front on the driver’s side and walk towards the back, and around past the passenger side making a visual inspection.